Follow by Email

Monday, October 12, 2009

For I was thirsty and you gave me drink.

When I woke up this morning, I jumped in the shower and turned on nice, hot water to bathe with and never gave it a second thought.


Maybe at that same time, a woman in the remote village of Kalangaalo was struggling with her jerrie cans a fourth of a mile down a narrow, uneven trail to the watering hole you see below.  Maybe she had children with her and they had to help carry too.  Maybe she had a baby in a sling and carried the child and the can.


Today, I complained about having to do laundry in a washing machine that has water that comes when I turn it on....


Maybe at the  same time I was complaining, a woman in that same village was trying to decide if she should use that 5 gallons of muddy water to bathe, wash clothes or to cook with.
Does she want to make that long trek carrying water on her shoulder again for later in the day?




One of the big problems faced by the people of the remote village of Kalangaalo is water.
  Notice how brown the water is......would you want to cook, bathe, drink or wash your clothes in this water? They have no choice.  Here in America, we would get a boil water notice while it was being fixed, so that soon it would be clean again.







I am teaching the women about personal hygiene, another problem when you have no water.  How can I tell these women that they must bathe and have clean clothes each day?  Also, that their children must be clean and have clean clothes?


Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?  And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?  And the king will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.

If you feel at all led to pray for these people or help in any way please visit our website

No comments:

Post a Comment